Trinitrotoluene - TNT
TNT grade I and III is used as main explosive charge in artillery and mortar projectiles and in hand grenades. It can also be used for production of other explosive materiel in composition with RDX, HMX, PETN, TNT grade IV (solidification point 77.790 C) is primarily used in mining.
Main technical characteristics
- Rate of detonation, m/s (1.62 g/cm3) 7000
- Explosion heat, Kcal/kg 1010
- Explosion temperature, ° C 3100
- Shock sensitivity, kgm 1.5
Dinitro toluene - DNT
DNT (solidification point 55-570 C) is primarily used as mining explosive. It is supplied in the form of pale yellowish solid cast substance. Technical grade DNT is a mixture of any type of DNT mixed with 2% TNT.
Penthrite - PETN
PETN is primarily used in detonators, plas-tic explosives and detonating fuzes. Phlegmatized with wax, it can be used as booster charge in various types of ammuni-tion. It can also be used as mining explo-sive.
- Melting point, ° C 1410
- Crystalline density, g/cm3 1.77
- Detonation rate, m/s 8370
- Explosion heat, Kcal/kg 1450
- Shock sensitivity, kgm 0.31
Hexogen - RDX (Cyclonite)
In pressed form is used in detonators and shaped charges. It can also be used for manufacture of plastic explosives and detonating fuzes. In combination with TNT it is used as main charge in various types of ammu¬nition.
- Crystalline density, g/cm3 1816
- Detonation rate, m/s 8832
- Explosion heat, Kcal/kg 1440
- Shock sensitivity, kgm 0.42
Octogene - HMX
Compared to RDX, HMX offers higher density and rate of detonation. It is used as main charge (especially in HEAT projectiles and supersonic rocket warheads) and for man¬ufacture of detonating fuzes.
- Crystalline density, g/cm3 1.91
- Detonation rate, m/s 9220
- Explosion heat, Kcal/kg 1435
- Shock sensitivity, kgm 0.52
Pentol PETN/TNT (50/50)
Pentol, also known as “Pentolite”, is used in manufacturing of shaped charges and detonators.
FO-3.5s, FO-3.5PE, FO-3.5M, FO- 4; HMX/WAX (Phlegmatized octogen), with up to 2% wax content, is used instead of RDX where higher efficiency is recom-mended.
- Powder explosives based on TNT
- Plastic explosives based on penthrite PPE-01 HNS
- Composition of hexogen wax and graphite
- Composition of octogen wax, aluminium and graphite
- Composition based on TNT and HMX - OCTOL
- Composition of RDX or HMS, aluminium and graphite
- Trinitrotoluene/Dinitrotoluene (TNT/DNT)
- Dinitrotoluene/Trinitrotoluene (DNT/TNT)
- Phlegmatized penthrite FP-5M
- Glazing hexogen NT/HNS
Phlegmatized hexogen FH
RDX/WAX (Phlegmatized hexogen), with up to 5% wax content, is used in pressing for the purpose of obtain¬ing higher charge densities and detonation rates as well as for charging the small calibre ammunition.
Hexotol, compositions based on TNT and RDX
(Hexotol, Hexolite), most frequently used ratio is 70/30 or 90/10. Comp B (ratio 60/40) can be supplied in the form of cast plates.
- Trinitro resorcinol
- Methyl nitrate
- 3.5 Dinitro benzene